15.12.2017 | .
www.riesa.de :: Living in Riesa
Welcome in Riesa.
Aspects. Of Riesa. picture gallery Enjoy our picture gallery with different aspects of Riesa. [gallery]
Sightseeing. In Riesa. Sightseeing. In Riesa. Convent, Museum, Pasta Fabric, Animal Park,... [more]
Leisure Time. In Riesa? Leisure Time. In Riesa. Boredom is practically unknown in Riesa. [more]
Once upon the time...In Riesa

18th - 20th century

1756

Prussia starts the Seven Years’ War against many European nations

2nd half of the 18th century

the colonial, naval and trade merchants develop next to the municipal park

1820

the first post way station in Riesa

1836

the first long-distance railway line built between Dresden and Leipzig

1839

the Leipzig-Dresden railway line opened on April 7th

1843

a forging work was established

1848

the Elbe-Blatt was published in Riesa, its first weekly newspaper that later developed into the Riesaer Tageblatt. It is published until April 23, 1945 and starting again in 1991

from 1850

Riesa considerably expanded along the Elbe river

1857

the main post office and telegraph office were dedicated

1858

Riesa is given its first garrison and Riesa is the third-largest garrison city in Saxony up to 1914

1859

first full-time mayor educated in law, Mr. Steger, is appointed

1865

Riesa is lit with gas lanterns for the first time on October 21

1866

Saxony is on Austria’s side in Prussia’s war against Austria. The bridge on the Elbe river is set ablaze when the enemy troops approach and Riesa is given a Prussian garrison for just under a yea

1874

the Riesa’s Municipal Administration acquires the manor of Riesa from the Baron of Welck for 338,000 talers, thus becoming its 18th owner

1876

the almost finished new bridge on the Elbe river collapses during flood and ice on February 19th

1896

a local court building erected

1897

the Trinity Church was consecrated

1900

Riesa has 13,491 inhabitants

1901

the third-largest inland harbour on the Elbe river is finished and numerous freight and wood-working companies relocate there the municipal hospital was built

1904

Riesa’s Technikum (technical school) was establish

1910

the consumer’s co-operative shops established the soap, pasta and match factories opened

1914-1918

349 men from Riesa die in the First World War

1923-1996

the City of Riesa is enlarged by incorporating Gröba and Weida (1923), Merzdorf (1925), Pausitz and Poppitz (1950), Mergendorf (1961), Pochra and Canitz (1974), Nickritz, Jahnishausen and Mautitz (1994) and Leutewitz (1996)

1927

fast transport of freight on the Elbe river between Hamburg, Riesa and Dresden

1936

Riesa’s swimming pool and bicycle racing area were dedicated

1945

Riesa is declared a fortress that the Soviet troops occupy without resistance all 3 bridges are blown up, causing great damage

1945-1947

90 % of Riesa’s factory equipment was dismantled and 70 % of the buildings of the steel mill was taken down and brought to the Soviet Union as reparation the steel mill was rebuilt afterwards to become the German Democratic
Republic’s largest steel mill with 13,000 employees

1948

the tyre factory was built

1952

Riesa is designated a county seat in the District of Dresden

1956

the bridge was dedicated on the Elbe river

1973

the new patient facility in the Riesa County Hospital

1977

swimming pool dedicated

1981

Riesa has 51,857 inhabitants