Stahl Riesa was established on March 28, 1903 under the name SC 1903 Riesa, although it was renamed Riesaer SV as early as 1905. They made it into the highest German players class at that time, the District League in 1936. This club was dissolved in 1945 and SG Stahlwerke Riesa was established as its successor. It was renamed once again BSG Stahlwerke Riesa in September of 1948. It made it into the Top League of the German Democratic Republic in 1968 after a 3:0 win against Aktivist Karl-Marx Zwickau and between 1968 and 1988 BSG Stahlwerke Riesa played a total of 16 seasons in the highest division of the German Democratic Republic. They mostly fought against being relegated. The team achieved its best results in 6th place in 1974/75 just missing qualification for the UEFA cup.
The football division was excluded from the total club in 1990 and renamed FC Stahl Riesa. Then it was merged with SC Riesa-Röderau in 1998 and called FC Stahl Riesa 98. In 2000, it made it into the NOFV Oberliga Süd, although they had to report insolvency in 2002 and dissolve the club in 2003. It was shortly thereafter that the legendary Stahl Riesa sport club was established on March 31, 2003 to pick up on the football successes of its history. After getting a good start in the lowest league (the 2nd county class) and three consecutive moves upwards, TSV Stahl Riesa is now playing in Dresden’s relay 4 district class.