The City Council is the elected representation of the citizens of Riesa and the main body of the district town of Riesa. Its responsibility is limited to internal matters. It establishes the principles of administration and decides on all of the city’s matters. For instance, the City Council decides on:
- the basic strategy for urban development
- naming streets/ways/squares
- erecting/taking over/substantially changing/completely and partially selling/dissolving companies and public institutions and direct and indirect holdings in them
- approving the annual financial statements, approving the work of the supervisory board and management of internal companies of the city
- appointing and dismissing members of the management
- joining or leaving municipal clubs and associations and
- establishing partnerships to other municipalities.